Unit 8 Reflection
Going through the exercises and practice sessions I have done in this class I feel the Loving Kindness and Visualization were the most beneficial. I also think the deep breathing exercises were helpful especially since I incorporate them in my life already and have used them successfully for many situations in my life. But the Loving Kindness was new and easy to accept the experience; I relate to the white light and the giving of love. The Visualization is another one that I have used in the past when I needed to escape something, like a medical procedure or something to that effect.
All of these can be practiced anytime so are easy to incorporate into my life when needed. Being able to use these exercises can foster my mental fitness by disciplining my mind which gives me the ability to calm myself and bring inner peace whenever I need it or want it. If I am facing a stressful situation I can use visualization to help me cope with what is happening by letting me escape the moment. With the Loving Kindness exercise I can use this when I want to give and receive good karma, sending out love will help it return.
I think any exercise or practice that helps calm and focus the mind is a clear benefit for overall health and well being. It is part of a healthy lifestyle just like diet and exercise and should be practiced daily. Overall health is a gift but is not free, it takes effort and dedication like anything worthwhile.
"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them -- every day begin the task anew.”
French saint & bishop of Geneva (1567 - 1622)
Hello Charlene,
ReplyDeleteYou are very lucky to have caught on to the Loving Kindness exercise so quickly. I can't make it through with out wandering away from the light. However I'm with you on the Visualization exercise. I day dream a ton already, now it's a focused exercise. Being able to use all our senses and relive a great time all over can turn around a bad day rather quickly.
Great quote, I sometimes have a problem considering my imperfections. I think the Loving Kindness will help me remedy them one at a time once I can sit through the whole mental exercise.
Charlene,
ReplyDeleteIt took awhile for me to catch on to many of these exercises, but once conquered, I find them very useful. Like you said in your blog entry, if practiced daily, any exercise that promotes a calmness and focus of the mind can be beneficial to ones overall health.
And I am loving the quote......beautiful touch!
Char,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post for this week because I feel like you have been touched by this class probably as much as I have. I believe all of the practices and exercises are able to be useful at certain times and I believe that some may be more beneficial than others and vice versa. We are all different people and are going to grow and continue our journeys in different ways but it has been exciting reading about everyone's growth thus far!
I shall continue to wish you well upon your journey and through your journey with Kaplan as well because we are all overcoming tremendous feats that have been set against us, either by the world, ourselves, or even those we were around growing up!