Unit 7 Reflection
I think mindfulness or meditation has fostered a greater health and wellness in me by bringing my thoughts to my inner self giving me a chance to make peace with them and move on. This has made me more focused and gave me the ability to calm my mind and bring myself back to the present when my mind wanders to negatives.
It is an ongoing process and I have a long way to go, this is not something learned overnight, but with practice and discipline it can get easier and just second nature. I think by training the mind in this way I can avoid the extreme emotions of a disruption in my life and take things as they come instead of seeing things as an end and more of a beginning. Each problem can become a lesson and can be taken on as chance to learn and let it go.
“One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself”
This phrase is one I believe in completely, to me it says that there are no better lessons learned or taught then the ones we survive. How can you give advice or guidance when you have not experienced the very thing you are trying to teach, you can try but the best teacher is life and the experiences we encounter. This knowledge can then be processed and the message received so that we can pass it on. There is no class or book that can teach or translate human life experience. I think the best teachers are the ones who lived what they teach.
This applies to the health and wellness professional because you really need to practice what you preach. How are you suppose to tell someone about the benefits of integral health and wellness if you are not practicing the same wisdom? In order to help someone else you must help yourself first, this is where passion in what you do comes from, you have to believe in what you say and do to be an effective teacher and healer. I feel this is the obligation of the professional to be truly knowing of what they speak so the professional should develop their psychologically, physically, and spiritually.
I have been trying to implement this psychological and spiritual growth into my personal life since I have been taking this class. I have come to accept I need to come to terms with my psychological issues and nurture my spirituality to become the person I want to be and be able to help others. By doing an integral assessment periodically I can look at where I am lacking and make changes to balance all these aspects out. There has to be a well rounded balanced lifestyle to feel my best and I can achieve this by tending to my personal needs in the areas outlined in this course. Life is a journey but on this journey we need to grow and flourish through body/mind/spirit with the ultimate goal of unity of consciousness and oneness with all.
I like what you have to say about bringing your mind back to the moment. I lose so much time in unnecessary worry and concerns. Although, I am doing better, I know I have a lot of work to do also. I just can’t seem to let go of those things which I know I can do nothing about. I should really say the Serenity Prayer more often.
ReplyDeleteI also like your suggestion to consider these as opportunities to grow; because as you state, “it is not something learned over night”. Through continued practice and mindfulness we can grow and develop way of keeping such though form causing harm and diminishing or daily life experiences.
I agree with you that these exercises definitely help me bring my mind back to the positive when I start focusing on the negative. I have found that just taking a few deep breaths and clearing my mind for a moment can help too. You make a very good point about how the best teachers are the ones with the life experiences. Anyone can open a book and read it but to actually have been through it and experienced it is completely different. We are all in this life trying to learn and figure things out. I believe we all took this class for a reason, we want something more from ourselves.It sounds like you have some really good goals and are on the right track!
ReplyDelete