Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Unit 6 Reflection

Integral assessment exercise: This exercise is about taking a look inside at the aspects of our being and find what needs work. Looking at psychospiritual, biological, interpersonal, and worldly, I feel at the top of my list of what to work on first is interpersonal and worldly running a close second. Dealing with interpersonal I have been cut off from community and outside life too long, I have focused on personal and family for so long it is consuming me. Because of many life altering events I find myself shutting the world out for fear of more hurt and anguish, but in the process am robbing myself of the good that can happen also. It’s not easy to open myself up after building so many walls around myself to keep things out, but I realize that by keeping things out I am also not letting new things in, things that I am missing. So I need to work on my growth and development in the area of community and getting out into the world.

Some specific exercises or activities that I can implement to foster greater wellness in this area would be to get involved in things outside my home and personal sphere. Join a group, volunteer in an area that I am interested in, take steps to put myself out in the world. Try to overcome fears that have held me back, this would be where the exercises such as loving kindness and subtle mind may come in handy so I have an inner peace and calm to take these steps. I need to build my confidence and not be afraid of what may happen but embrace it as more life lessons that lead me to greater understanding and wisdom, which I hope to share with others.

Dacher, E. (2006). Integral health the path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, Ca.: Basic Health Publications.

5 comments:

  1. Char,
    I'm glad you are realizing that you need a greater social circle. Family is great, but we need our own friends also. As an example, my husband and I of course do things together, but we each have our own interests that we pursue with our friends seperate from each other also. This makes us happier, more well rounded people. You can never depend on someone else to supply your happiness and you can't lose yourself in the course of trying to make others happy. You are definitely on the right track by thinking of joining a club or group or get involved in volunteer work. These are great ways to meet new people and form new friendships with people who have the same values and interests that you do. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Char,

    I understand where you are coming from because I, too, have also focused on others, instead of myself. I believe that being able to reach out and touch someone is something we both are learning to do, as we have reached out to each other in a friendship that I am very glad to have and be a part of!

    You truly have a lot to offer anyone who is willing to try and have a friendship with you because you are such an amazing woman, even after all your trials and tribulations that you have suffered through!

    I wish you the best of luck with your new endeavors and you know that I am always here for you, regardless of what you need to talk about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Char,
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I too want to focus on the "worldly" aspect of my life. Sometimes we allow our personal lives to consume our every being that we shelter ourselves from the positive things that can flourish from outside the four walls that we have created for ourselves.

    I hope that as you expand, grow, and develop, you find a balance between your own personal circle and the circles of the world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Char, I think it is great that you realize this and are able to share it with everyone. You are not doing yourself any good with walls, its time to bring them down. You are much stronger now. Life has a new meaning as only a selected few are able to truly appreciate and understand. Now that you have the skills of a witnessing mind, and calm abiding, you can move out into the world and make a difference. Best wishes,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say thank you all for your comments and support. I wish I could have you all in my corner all the time lol. But I am grateful for the connections I have made here at school and I truly hope each of you get all you want out of life.
    I have really been blessed to have had these positive experiences with you guys and all my classmates.
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete